Thursday, March 20, 2008

Over Dosing

My younger cousin was in the hospital about three days this past weekend. Apparently she and her older sister, along with their respective boyfriends, have been into pot, huffing, and who knows what else for some years now. This time she over dosed and wound up in the hospital.

Stupid... right..?

I'm in a bit of a spot at the moment in regards to this. I definitely believe that this drug use is stupid. These kids are going to have a long road ahead of them if they sincerely want to stop as they have claimed. My entire family is concerned. I am concerned. I'm also feeling a bit hypocritical...

You see... I've over dosed. Four times as a matter of fact (one fairly recent). Unlike the kids, I don't do it for the high. As a matter of fact I tend to do it before I go to bed, so the only time I feel it's effect is when I wake for a brief period of time during the night. Why do I do it? I'm not entirely sure. It's something to do... something that is not cutting. I know how much I am taking, approximately how much I need to take to reach toxicity, approximately how much it takes to kill myself. I haven't been attempting suicide, y'all can breath again. Would I mind if it killed me? Honestly? Not really. And when you think about it that makes sense logically. I mean, when you're dead you tend to not care about much of anything anymore. People like to say 'Well but there is so much you will miss'... um, you're dead, you aren't missing anything. *shrug*

Anyway, back to my spot... I'm just not entirely sure if it's kosher for me to be upset with the kids for doing something that I do myself. I don't do it as often, mind you. And, if it's possible, I do it more responsibly. But there really is nothing responsible about it...

Is it the same..? I just don't know...

2 comments:

Mr B The Tech Teacher said...

They overdosed on pot and ended up in hospital??
How on earth did they manage that??

I know a lot of people who toke, and I've never known anyone to get into anything like that state. The only time I've heard about similar things is when people have tried smuggling drugs into the country by keepign them inside the body and the bag has split or something.

They must have been taking something else too, I'm sure of it.

You're not a hipocrite tho, you overdose for very different reasons and I suspect that your cousin and her friends had no intention of overdosing at all. Different things like I say, don't beat yourself up on it :)

~Shiv

Girl Interrupted83 said...

Ah, I was unclear, my apologies. While the kids have been into both pot and huffing (and illicet prescription/OTC drug use) she overdosed while huffing key-board cleaner. Thanks, for your understanding, and you are correct the different reasons are something to consider... Still, they both do (sometimes) ireparable damage to your body.