Wednesday, May 20, 2009

One Small Cut...

And apparently that's enough to ask 'Are you a cutter?' I looked at the girl sitting next to me (if I remember correctly she is something like 15 or 16 though I am not sure because I don't really know her... just some very chatty kid at the public library) and said 'I don't think that is an appropriate question to ask someone.' What else could I say? 'Yes, want to see the scars on my arms?'!! Her excuse: well, she's just outgoing, likes to meet new people... *rolls eyes* At the risk of sounding much older than my years, someone has got to teach these kids about proper social behavior (this is the same kid who sat there talking to me about her sunburn -I was trying to go about my business in peace- and then told me to touch it to see how hot it actually was). It shouldn't affect me this much, this way... I can't describe it, but it doesn't feel good...

Really?

Alright, done with the rant.

7 comments:

Mariah said...

That cut on your hand could've come from anything.

Girl Interrupted83 said...

Agreed (and thanks). Maybe because she is a teenager and it is so prevelant among that set (especially with this Emo fad... Kids, hurting yourself is NOT a fad, sheesh) she just went there immediatly but never the less... It's not an appropriate question to ask someone, especially someone you don't know. I do not feel bad for having told her so.

Grace said...

I am also a woman with a history of SI - and although I have never had anyone ask me directly about my scars, I have received a few strange looks. I'm sure teens are much more inclined to be vocal about it, and question things....
Take care ~ Grace

Girl Interrupted83 said...

Ah, the strange looks *shakes head* People can be so tactless. I had one man look at me in the middle of some humerous banter between us - I was making his sandwich -I worked for the dining hall during college- and almost cut my finder and had said 'I just about cut my finger off, that wouldn't be good! - and say 'Looks like you've already started on your arms'! My friend chewed him out later, lol.

Anyway, thanks Grace, for your comments :)

charnana said...

hahaha! your post amused me. i would have reacted differently actually. if she asked it in a nice way, i would have answered her honestly. if it was some snobbish and nosy person, then i would have reacted, no i would have been mean.

when i entered polytechnic, a boy in my course looked at me and asked me in a very condemning tone, 'why do you cut?' and i just shrugged. he was just one of those who couldn't understand such things but well, he grew to be my closest male friend in the course and he probably condemns it less now.

but i have this thing with people seeing the scars on my arms. i used to be proud of them and then now i try to hide them. i can't really understand why.

it's jellyphish here.

Anonymous said...

woah, yeah, that has to be up there on the social awkwardness scale.

reminds me of the 16-17 y.o. chick i met at a fairly upscale social function recently who asked if my friend and i were tattoed. she proceeded to hitch up her dress to show us the one just about her underwear line.

i've no problem with tatts but c'mon now. some things, like what you were asked, are just so out of the ballpark inappropriate as to bend the mind.

Girl Interrupted83 said...

Cat~
Oh. My. Lord. *blinks* Wow. lol I would have looked at her and said 'yeah' and proceeded to pull my sleeve up (much farther than it needed to go) and show her the one on my wrist. Just... wow.