Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is 'Out of Your Mind' Really Such a Bad Thing?

For some reason the thought that I had already been 'out of my mind' ran through my head the other day (I am sure there was something that brought the thought to mind, something on TV, something I was reading... I cannot, however, remember what that might have been). I chuckled over this thought for a second before the thought hit me: is that really such a bad thing?

Let me explain.

I have several times told folks (moestly in a joking manner) that a persons mind is a dark and dangerous place. I suppose I am mostly talking about my own mind when I say this. Also I seem to have this conversation with folks with problems similar to my own so I suppose in that I am not far off. But as I got to thinking about it the other day it struck me that there was some possible truth to that statement and, as such, it may not be such a bad thing to be 'out of your mind'. Often, I believe, a big part of the distress I may be in is caused (or at least exacerbated) by spending too much time in my mind, too much time thinking things over, dwelling on things that I cannot change, berating myself for thoughts or feelings. That said, it seems to me that by spending more time 'out of my mind' I could possibly avoid a little bit of the distress that I usually find myself in.

Just a thought...

No comments: